- The direcTuition website 1) helps parents and students to find suitable tutors and 2) provides a platform for tutors who want to register and market their services with direcTuition. All of these terms and conditions apply to Parents, Students and Tutors, unless they specifically state otherwise.
- The direcTuition website is owned and operated by Learners’ Lodge Pte Ltd. Learners’ Lodge is an Exempt Private Company Limited by Shares in Singapore under registration number 201012189H. Learners’ Lodge’s registered office is at Blk 134 Jurong Gateway Road, 03-307 Singapore 600134. Learners’ Lodge other contact details are set out on the Website, which is at https://www.learnerslodge.com.sg/.
- A User may register on the Website as a Parent, Student or as a Tutor. A User may use the Website without registering, but if a User does register, certain information will be stored, making future visits to the Website easier.
- By registering on or using direcTuition Website, the User agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions. These terms and conditions are legally binding – every User should read them fully before agreeing to them. (Please print or save these terms for future use as direcTuition will not keep a file copy specifically for the User and direcTuition cannot guarantee that they will remain accessible on the Website in future.) If a User does not wish to be bound by these terms, they should not use the Website.
direcTuition Rights & Responsibilities
This clause sets out what direcTuition promises to do:
- To help parents or students find a suitable tutor and for tutors to register their professional tuition services on the website.
- To maintain a functioning Website, wherever possible. direcTuition cannot guarantee that the Website will always be available, or that it will always work, but it will try to have it up and running properly at all times. Every now and again, the Website might need to be taken offline for maintenance purposes.
- To use reasonable endeavours to keep the Website free from viruses and worms.
- To use reasonable endeavours to check the identity of all Tutors and conduct to a reasonable extent, the background of Tutors who registered with direcTuition. (If a student or parent has any concerns about the tutor, they can request further information before the first lesson subject to the willingness to provide the information by the tutor)
- To endeavour to ensure Complaints are considered promptly and in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- To endeavour to ensure that refunds (if any) to Students are made promptly in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- To endeavour to ensure that Failed Payments are processed promptly and in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- To take precautions to protect Parents’, Students’ and Tutors’ information.
User Responsibilities (Anyone else who uses the Website)
- Users are responsible for their own security in conjunction with the services through the Website, both online and offline.
- direcTuition is solely responsible for the material posted on the Website, and must not post defamatory, offensive or illegal material.
- Users must immediately report to direcTuition any defamatory, offensive or illegal material they view on the Website.
- Users must exercise their own judgement regarding the accuracy of information provided on the Website. DirecTuition cannot and does not guarantee that all of the content on the Website is complete, accurate or up-to-date.
- Users must contact DirecTuition immediately if they believe the information they submitted in the website has been compromised. Users will be responsible for the actions of any interactions conducted in their name until they have notified DirecTuition that they believe the information they submitted in the website has been compromised
- Any User who fails, in direcTuition’s opinion, to comply with these terms and conditions may be immediately suspended from using the Website and any related services. DirecTuition reserves the right to cancel any existing tutor matching requests in such circumstances.
- DirecTuition is not responsible for the acts or omissions of Parents, Students or Tutors and is solely responsible for its own acts or omissions.
- Students must ensure that all of their personal details and contact information are accurate and up-to-date. DirecTuition will contact Parents or Students by WhatsApp or email.
- When the Parent or Student accepts the tutor recommendation of direcTuition, the Parent/Student enters into a direct contract with the Tutor for the provision of Lessons and DirecTuition accepts no liability in relation to the Tutor’s provision of lessons.
- Students must ensure that they have given enough information to the Tutor, including their correct address, to allow the Lesson to take place. If a Lesson is to take place at the Student’s home, the Student must provide a suitable setting for tuition.
- Students must use their own judgement about the services of Tutors recommended by direcTuition. Although DirecTuition undertakes certain checks to assess the suitability of each Tutor prior to the recommendation, Students are responsible for checking the credentials, expertise, references, qualifications and insurance policies of any Tutor with whom they confirm lessons.
- Student/parents may unsubscribe from direcTuition at any point in time
- Cancellations: Parents/Students may cancel any lessons after the first lesson. However, the parent will have to pay direcTuition 50% of the number of lessons the tutor attended, and the remaining 50% will need to be given to the tutor.
Tutor Status and Responsibilities
- Tutors are not employees of DirecTuition and are solely responsible for their own actions both on and off the Website.
- Tutors must be at least 18 years old.
- Tutors must be legally entitled to work in Singapore on a self-employed basis.
- If Tutors contact Students who are under 18, they must ensure that these Students are represented by a parent or legal guardian who gives consent for the Student to receive tuition.
- Tutors are responsible for ensuring that the personal information they provide and their personal statements are accurate and in no way misleading. They must update this information promptly to maintain its accuracy.
- Tutors must disclose any criminal convictions or cautions they may have to DirecTuition, including any criminal convictions or cautions received at any time after having registered a tutor account on the Website and for as long as the Tutor remains registered.
- Any Tutor who, in DirecTuition’s opinion, fails to comply with these terms and conditions may be immediately barred from using the Website and related services. DirecTuition reserves the right to cancel any existing lessons at any time in such circumstances.
- Tutors must use their own judgement about whether they wish to offer their tuition services to each individual Student. Tutors must take every precaution to ensure that they work in a safe environment and are responsible for taking out and maintaining their own insurance policies to cover the work they undertake.
- Tutors are responsible for setting their own Tutor Fee. They must not undercut DirecTuition and must, therefore, set their Tutor Fee for an amount that is as good as the fee they offer to students outside of DirecTuition.
- Tutors should make lesson schedules and respond to messages received from DirecTuition and Users promptly.
- The Lesson Fee payable by a Student or Parent for a Lesson will reflect in the payment advice and invoice sent to the Parent / Student.
- A Lesson Fee is the combination of the Tutor Fee, which will be collected by direcTuition for the half of the lessons agreed in the first month.
- There will be no platform fees payable just for the use of the direcTuition Website.
- The percentage of the Lesson Fee that represents the Tutor Fee, received by DirecTuition as agent for the Tutor, will be determined based on the number of Lessons in the first month as agreed upon on the Website, which is 50% of the number of lessons in a month will be the cost of the agent fee and the remaining 50% will be the Tutor’s fee.
- If any Student/ Parent makes a Complaint (claiming for a Missed Lesson, raising a refund request, or making a claim against DirecTuition’s 100% satisfaction guarantee), charges may nevertheless be processed as usual to collect a payment, and refunded as appropriate, in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- A Student may cancel a class at any point before the scheduled start time of a Lesson.
- Tutors may cancel a class at any time prior to a Lesson taking place. To do so, Tutors must inform the Student directly. In the event of a Tutor cancelling a Booking, the Student will not be charged any Lesson Fee or, if the Student has paid the Lesson Fee, will receive a full refund.
- As the agent of the Tutor, DirecTuition may continue to seek payment to cover Failed Payments from the Parent/ Student for ninety days following the scheduled end of the relevant Lesson, by contacting the Student by email, SMS and/or phone.
- DirecTuition will not be liable to the Tutor for any lost earnings resulting from any Failed Payment.
- DirecTuition seeks to provide the best service possible and provide a safe experience in which children can learn.
- Any User who is the parent of a child under the age of 18 who has a Lesson with a Tutor should not leave the child in the sole care of that Tutor.
- If any User has a concern regarding child protection, they should contact DirecTuition immediately.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
- Nothing in these terms and conditions in any way limits or excludes DirecTuition’s liability for negligence causing death or personal injury or for anything which is not permitted by law to be excluded or limited.
- All Users must give DirecTuition a reasonable opportunity to remedy any matter for which DirecTuition is potentially liable before incurring any costs remedying the matter themselves.
DirecTuition shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by it or its employees or agents in circumstances where:
- there is no breach of a legal duty of care owed by DirecTuition or by any of its employees or agents;
- such loss or damage was not reasonably foreseeable by both parties; or
- such loss or damage is caused by the User, for example by not complying with these terms and conditions.
- To the extent permitted by law, the User will be liable for any reasonably foreseeable loss or damage DirecTuition suffers arising from the User’s breach of these terms and conditions or misuse of the Website (subject of course to DirecTuition’s obligation to mitigate any losses).
The following clauses apply only if the User is not a consumer:
- To the extent allowed by law, the User and DirecTuition exclude all terms, whether imposed by statute or by law or otherwise, that are not expressly stated in these terms and conditions. In this clause, any reference to DirecTuition includes its employees and agents.
In no event (including DirecTuition’s negligence) will DirecTuition be liable for any:
- economic losses (including, without limitation, loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings);
- loss of goodwill or reputation;
- special, indirect or consequential losses; or
- damage to or loss of data (even if DirecTuition has been advised of the possibility of such losses).
- the User will indemnify DirecTuition against all claims and liabilities directly or indirectly related to the User’s use of the Website and/or breach of these terms and conditions.
- These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between the parties with respect to their subject matter and supersede any previous communications or agreements. The parties both acknowledge that there have been no misrepresentations and that neither has relied on any pre-contractual statements. Liability for misrepresentation (excluding fraudulent misrepresentation) relating to these terms and conditions is excluded.
Classes – Student responsibility
- Students must be at least 18 years old to book a class for themselves. Students under the age of 18 must be represented by a parent or legal guardian who gives consent for them to enrol in a class delivered by DirecTuition. DirecTuition is not responsible for any dispute between a person under the age of 18 and a parent or guardian.
- When a tutor recommendation is confirmed, the Student enters into a direct contract with the Tutor for the provision of the class and DirecTuition accepts no liability in relation to the Tutor’s provision of sessions.
Classes – Tutor responsibility
- Tutors agree that DirecTuition reserves the right to cancel a class ahead of commencement, by giving the Tutor 24 hours notice.
- If a Tutor is unable to attend one or more of the sessions scheduled, they should give the Parent/ Student sufficient notice of cancellation prior to the scheduled lesson.
- Tutors agree that DirecTuition reserves the right to withhold payment for classes that are not completed.
- Tutors agree to adhere to the submitted schedule of learning, as approved by DirecTuition.
Changes to these terms and conditions
- DirecTuition may change these terms and conditions by posting the revised version on the Website at least 14 days before they become effective. Please check the Website from time to time. Users will be bound by the revised terms and conditions if they continue to use the Website or the services following the effective date shown.